April Mission Outreach Team Meeting
The Mission Outreach Team met on Monday April 09, 2018. The meeting began with a summary of the MOC activities for the months of February and March.
A Hoops for Hope Family Promise fund raiser was held at the Palmerton High School. Zion members donated three baskets and a gift card for the raffle.
- Daffodils, purchased to support the American Cancer Society, were delivered to Zion shut-ins. The feed back from the shut-in members was that of gratitude and appreciation for the visit and the flowers.
- One team from Zion participated in the Bowl for Kid’s Sake on Saturday March 24th at Fritz’s Bowling Alley. All the proceeds from this event support the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program. This program provides adult mentors for children. When children and teens have the influence of a caring adult, they are more likely to avoid risky behaviors and to focus on academics. Today's youth face a variety of challenges and being matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister can help them navigate these challenges and reach their potential. Through your generous donations in the green envelopes, Zion was able to give the organization $500.
- MOC team members helped to serve the March community meal.
The next special fund raiser is the One Great Hour of Sharing campaign which will take place on May 6th. Collection boxes will be distributed to the Sunday School children with a flyer explaining the campaign on April 15th. The deadline for returning the collection boxes to Zion is May 6th.
Ideas for upcoming activities/events were discussed.
- Begin a more organized food drive for the food pantry by having a select item a month for members to donate. The team will check with Sharon for direction.
- Make activity/care packages for the children during their hospital stay, in support of the Dylan and Gavin Rainbow Program. Nancy will get more details as to the size & type of bag, as well as the items needed to fill the bags.
A craft night will be held on Thursday May 10th at 7 pm in the dining room. During this team building event, participants will be making a hanging basket from a colander. Individuals need to sign up for this event by May 7th by calling either Nancy Koch or Cindy Mengel-Smith, to ensure that there are enough supplies for everyone. A $5/person fee will be charged to defray the cost of materials. These baskets will make a great Mother’s Day gift!
An introductory yoga class will be held on Thursday June 7th. Chair yoga will be demonstrated in combination with all level yoga instruction. This will be a onetime only class and the fee will be $10. This class is a great opportunity to explore the technique to determine if yoga is something you want to pursue.
The next Mission Outreach team meeting will be Monday June 4th at 7pm. These meetings are open to everyone at Zion. Feel free to drop in to offer you ideas, help or support!