April Mission Outreach Team Meeting
The Mission Outreach Team held an on-line meeting on Thursday April 16, 2020.
Members on-line: Joanne Blew, Linda Clay, Katy Grenfell, Nancy Koch, Cheryl Kunkle, Cindy Mengel-Smith, and Beverly Moser.
Since the schools are closed for the remainder of the school year due to the Coronavirus pandemic, the team will not be packing snack bags until September. Nancy gave the snacks that will expire before September to the food pantry. The snacks were placed in the bags prepared for distribution by Sharon Berger. Nancy also updated the remaining snack inventory with expiration dates so we are organized for the September snack packing!
1. The daffodils were delivered. Thank you to Joanne and everyone who went out during a risky time. Your efforts are deeply
appreciated, especially by those on the receiving end.
2. We raised $249 during our One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS) campaign. Thank you to Bev for your help behind the scenes and to
the Christian Education department.
3. The Yoga class scheduled for May has been cancelled due to COVID 19.
4. The Christian Ed. Sundae Sunday has been postponed until the Sunday School classes begin again in September.
5. In response to the letter to Consistory regarding better communication: Barry Fisher informed Nancy that he played a role in
setting the date early to be sure to get it on the Gun Club calendar and apologized for not communicating with us. The mission
outreach team will be responsible for the outdoor service preparation on Sunday September 13th.
Cheryl expressed her concern about the food pantry distribution program and whether Sharon needed our help. Nancy was told that people are calling for their food. The food pantry personnel bag the food as it is requested and have a package ready at the church door when they arrive. Sharon said she does not need our help at this time.
The team began planning the chili cook-off which will be held on June 14th to support Nick Newton who is currently serving in the Peace Corp in Africa. Below is what was decided to date:
The entry fee for the contestants is $5. The sign-up date deadline is Sunday June 7th. There will be prizes for the 1st and 2nd place contestants. The participation fee to taste the chili and vote is $3. Each participant will receive 1 ticket with which to vote.
Hot dogs will sell for $1 each, chili dogs $1.50, and a bowl of chili will be $3.00. Beverages will sell for 50 cents or $1. Desserts, coffee and tea will be free. A donation jar will also be set up.
- Nancy will purchase a case of iced tea, purchase the prizes, provide the start -up money and ask for volunteers to make desserts if necessary.
- Beverly will get the cans and cash box (used during the country fair) for voting, donations and purchases. She will also make a dessert.
- Katy will purchase the grated cheese, hot sauce, and sour cream. She will also make a dessert.
- Cindy will purchase the hot dogs and rolls and make a crockpot of chili to sell. She will also make the menu signs and voting tickets.
Distribution of Funds
The committee requests that the financial secretary distribute funds to the following organizations:
Family Promise - $700
Peaceful Knights - $300
Bev will investigate why the designated donation of $150 to support the Caregiver Day of Pampering was not listed on our budget sheet.
The Mission Outreach team will meet on Thursday May. 14th at 6:30 pm. If we cannot meet at the church, we will hold an on-line meeting.
These meetings are open to everyone at Zion. Please feel free to stop in to offer your ideas, help or support!