August Mission Outreach Team Meeting
The Mission Outreach Team met on Thursday August 06, 2020 at 7pm in the nursery.
Members present: Joanne Blew, Linda Clay, Katy Grenfell, Nancy Koch, Cheryl Kunkle, Cindy Mengel-Smith, and Beverly Moser.
Also in attendance: Pastor Frey and Kathy Eckman
Pastor Frey opened the meeting with a prayer.
Due to the uncertainty of the school schedules, the difficulty packing the snack bags while maintaining social distancing, and the difficulty minimizing contact with the children, the team decided to cancel the snack bag program for the 2020-2021 school year.
Cheryl texted Sharon Berger to inform her that the remaining snacks in inventory should be used for the food pantry.
The team finalize the plans for the chili cook-off which will be held on Sunday September 13th to support Nick Newton’s work with the Peace Corp.
The entry fee for the contestants is $5. The sign-up date deadline is Sunday September 6th. There will be prizes for the 1st and 2nd place contestants. The participation fee to taste the chili and vote is $3. Each participant will receive 1 ticket with which to vote.
Bowls of the contestant’s chili will be sold for $3, and pint containers of chili will be sold for $5. A donation jar will also be set up.
First prize will be a fire extinguisher, and second prize will be an apron. First & second place winners will have their $5 entry fee returned to them.
- Nancy will purchase a case of iced tea, provide the fire extinguisher for 1st prize, and provide the start -up money. She will also speak to Tracy Newton to ask her to speak at the service.
- Beverly will get the cans and cash box (used during the country fair) for voting, donations and purchases. She will also purchase 5 plastic tablecloths.
- Katy will purchase the individual servings of regular and diet soda.
- Linda will purchase 100 small hot cups, plastic spoons and bowls.
- Cheryl will purchase bottles of water.
- Joanne will purchase individual servings of white birch beer and lemonade.
- Cindy will make the voting tickets and signs for the cans, and provide an apron for 2nd prize.
- Pastor Frey will provide pint containers for chili purchases.
The team also finalized the plans for the outdoor picnic service to be held in conjunction with the chili cook off.
- The church will provide the plates, cups, napkins, utensils, and condiments.
- Barry will provide the ice
- Nancy, Cheryl, & Cindy will bring coolers
- Joanne will purchase 12 plastic tablecloths.
- Nancy will pick up the hot dog roller, Bev’s tablecloths and cans at the church and transport everything to the club.
- Katy will bring tape to secure the tablecloths.
- Kathy will bring the hot dogs and rolls.
The team should meet at Beaver Run Rod and Gun Club at 9:30am to set up.
Distribution of Funds
Kathy Eckman informed the team that Zion was awarded a grant of $1500 of which Mission Outreach will receive 10%.
Pastor Frey will ask the Sunday School children to bring in their OGHS collection boxes.
The committee requests that the financial secretary distribute funds to the following organizations:
Family Promise - $300
Peaceful Knights - $200
Turn To Us - $250
St. Peter’ Community Center - $250
Upcoming Events – October
Crop Walk – Nancy or Cindy will take care of write-up for Visitor and bulletin.
NIN – Bev will take care of the write-up for the Visitor and bulletin.
The date of the next Mission Outreach team meeting has not been determined.